VoiceThread is an interactive multimedia presentation tool that promotes collaboration and discussion. You can create a VoiceThread discussion by uploading images, videos and documents to VoiceThread, then viewers can navigate through your VoiceThread presentation and share comments via text, audio, or video.
For more information about using VoiceThread, please select from the following:
Video: Creating a VoiceThread
Create a VoiceThread
To create a VoiceThread presentation:
- Open a browser and navigate to https://ku.voicethread.com and log in with your KU Online ID and password.
- To create a new VoiceThread, click Create. [View screenshot]
- Click + Add Media and select My Computer to upload files from your computer to the VoiceThread presentation. [View screenshot] Browse for and select the files that you would like to upload. You can find more information about accepted file types that can be uploaded into VoiceThread at VoiceThread Support: File types accepted ».
- Once you upload the files, you will be prompted to enter a title for the VoiceThread presentation. Enter a title.
- Select the Playback Options tab to set the playback settings for the VoiceThread. [View screenshot] You can find more information on what each playback setting means at VoiceThread Support: What does each playback setting mean? »
- Click Save.
- You will be taken to the editing page for your VoiceThread presentation. From here you can reorder slides, delete slides, and make changes to your VoiceThread settings. You can find more information on editing features at VoiceThread Support: Editing ».
- To add comments to your VoiceThread presentation, click Comment. This will open your VoiceThread presentation in full screen.
- Using the arrows in the bottom right-hand corner of the VoiceThread presentation, navigate to the slide that you would like to add a comment to. [View screenshot]
- Click the + icon at the bottom of the slide to open the commenting options. You can add comments via text, telephone, microphone, webcam, or file upload. Click the microphone button to record audio using your computer's microphone. [View screenshot]
- Your added comments will appear to the left of the VoiceThread slide. If you need to delete a comment, you can mouse over a comment and click the trash can icon. If you need to add additional comments, you can do so by clicking the + icon.
- Continue navigating to different slides and adding comments if needed. Your work will save automatically.
- Once you have finished your VoiceThread presentation, you can review your presentation by navigating back to the first slide of your presentation and clicking the Play button in the bottom left-hand corner. This will begin playing your presentation from the beginning so you can review and make any changes as needed.
- When you are finished, you can click the X in the top right-hand corner to exit the VoiceThread presentation.
You can find additional information about creating a VoiceThread at VoiceThread Support: Creating ».
Video: How to Comment on a VoiceThread
Commenting on a VoiceThread
VoiceThread allows users to add comments to a VoiceThread via text, telephone, microphone, webcam, or file upload. Comments can be made directly on a VoiceThread presentation or as replies to other users' comments.
To add a comment to a VoiceThread:
- Open the VoiceThread and navigate to the slide on which you would like to add a comment.
- Click the + icon at the bottom of the screen to access the commenting options.
- Text: Click on the ABC button. Type your text comment and click Save.
- Telephone: Click on the telephone button. Enter your 10 digit phone number and click Call Me. When your phone rings, pick it up, and record your comment when prompted. Hang up to save.
- Microphone: Click on the microphone button. Click Allow on the microphone permissions pop-up if prompted. After the countdown is complete, begin recording your comment. Click the red flashing light at the bottom of the screen to stop recording. The comment will begin playing. Click Save to save it or Discard to cancel and try again.
- Webcam: Click on the camera button. Click Allow on the webcam permissions pop-up if prompted. After the countdown is complete, begin recording your comment. Click the red flashing light at the bottom of the screen to stop recording. The comment will begin playing. Click Save to save it or Discard to cancel and try again.
- File upload: Click on the upload button. Browse for the video or audio file you wish to upload and select it. Wait for the file to finish processing.
You can find additional information on commenting in VoiceThread at VoiceThread Support: Commenting ».
Sharing a VoiceThread
There are many different options available for sharing a VoiceThread presentation, but the easiest option is to obtain a share link that you can post in an email, on a website, or in your Blackboard course. Users can then click on the link to access the presentation.
Accessing the Sharing Area
- From the VoiceThread Home page: Hover your mouse over the VoiceThread you want to share. Click on the Share button. [View screenshot]
- From the Create or Edit page: Navigate to the Create page for a VoiceThread you own or can edit. Click on the Share button near the top of the page. [View screenshot]
- From an open VoiceThread: Click on the menu in the top-left corner of the VoiceThread. Select Share. [View screenshot]
Obtain a Share Link
- Access the Sharing area using one of the methods above.
- Select the Basic tab. [View screenshot]
- Check the appropriate permissions for allowing anyone to view and comment.
- Click Copy Link. This will copy the link to your computer's clipboard automatically so that you can paste it into the desired location.
You can find more information on sharing in VoiceThread at VoiceThread Support: Sharing ». VoiceThreads can also be shared with a course via Blackboard. You can find more information on our VoiceThread integration with Blackboard at VoiceThread & Blackboard.
Editing a VoiceThread
You can edit any VoiceThread that belongs to your or to which you have been given editing rights. You can add more slides, remove slides, and change the settings for a VoiceThread at any time. All of those edits are immediately visible to anyone who has access to the VoiceThread.
To access the Edit area from the VoiceThread Home Page:
- Hover your mouse over the VoiceThread that you wish to edit.
- Click on the edit button. [View screenshot]
If your VoiceThread is already open:
- Click on the menu icon in the top-left corner.
- Select Edit. [View screenshot]
You can find more information on editing VoiceThreads at VoiceThread Support: Editing ».
You can find additional documentation on how to use VoiceThread at VoiceThread Support ». Much of the documentation on this page has been pulled directly from this helpful resource.
If you have any additional questions regarding how to use VoiceThread, please contact the KU IT Educational Technologists at 785-864-2600 or at email@example.com for additional assistance, Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 5 pm. If you encounter issues outside of these hours, please contact VoiceThread Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: VoiceThread Support »