At a Glance
- Create web-enhanced, hybrid, online courses
- Provide content to students online
- Provide active learning and collaborative opportunities
- Assess learning outcomes and track performance
Blackboard is KU’s learning management system, making it easy for instructors to use online tools and resources for teaching and engaging students. Blackboard provides tools for content distribution and communications, including innovative ways for instructors to deliver media-rich course content, encourage student interaction online, provide timely feedback for students and calculate valuable performance and participation metrics.
How is Blackboard used at KU?
Many faculty are currently using Blackboard to post materials or a syllabus as a first step, while others begin by using the online Grade Center. Some are using Blackboard to teach courses completely online, some are using it to supplement classroom (face-to-face) instruction, and others are creating courses known as “hybrids” that are a combination of face-to-face and online instruction. Instructors can customize their online course environment to fit the desired learning outcomes for any class being offered.
KU Information Technology partners with the Center for Online and Distance Learning (CODL) to provide support for Blackboard users, including general training, customized workshops and consultations on strategic uses of Blackboard for technology-enhanced learning.
You can find more information on the KU Blackboard Website.
Go directly to Blackboard login page.
- Go to courseware.ku.edu.
- Click on the login button to log in with your KU Online ID.
- Enter your KU Online ID and password.
- Click on your course name under My Courses to go to your course’s home page.
- Go to a content area (e.g. Course Document, Assignments) or click Control Panel. Common areas are Content Area, Course Tools, and Control Panel.
- To log out, click the logout icon on the top or close down your browser completely.
NOTICE: On April 1st, 2013, all Summer course shells will automatically be created and populated in Blackboard for every section that exists within Enroll & Pay. Fall course shells will be automatically created on July 16th, 2013. If you would like more information about this, please visit the News and Updates page on the Blackboard website.
Request a Practice Course
You may wish to develop course content well before a class is offered or experiment with Blackboard functionality without impacting his or her students. In this case, you can request a “scratch course” from Blackboard Support. This course will not be connected to Enroll & Pay, so you can feel free to experiment with new teaching methods. Content can then be copied or moved to an actual Blackboard course created by Enroll & Pay at a later time if desired.
Contact the KU IT Educational Technologists for assistance at 864-2600 or email@example.com.